DIY Touchscreen Stylus using Conductive foam

May 7th, 2010 | by dnw |

Finally, a Stylus kludge that actually looks workable as it can be made different lengths and is cheap and easy.

Now, I just need to get hold of some of that conductive foam so I can get someone to make me up a mouthstick version.

If anyone has some foam you can post to me, please leave a comment or contact me so I can give you my address.

Here’s the video:

Well done Collin.
[via Lifehacker and Make]

* *
  1. 12 Responses to “DIY Touchscreen Stylus using Conductive foam”

2. By meg Smith on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

I just went shopping for conductive foam after seeing the same video. Jaycar electronics in Sydney didn’t have any in the store – or maybe they don’t take women seriously when they ask for such things.
    I did try the other idea – end of pencil wrapped in alfoil and it does work but the foam is probably better for the surface of the ipad/iphone.
    They do sell it on their website I see

3. By dnw on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Hi Meg

You might like to try this suggestion I found and reported on my last Lifekludger post.

“Try Scotch Brite sponges – both yellow and blue versions work.”

Read half way done this post: http://lifekludger.net/2010/07/01/clutch-pencil-adapted-as-touch-screen-stylus/

Oh, and let me know how you go.

Dave

4. By RainyDayInterns on Mar 10, 2011 | Reply

Here is our version only that it is an iPad brush:

We are currently looking for better fibers, but the concept is sound.

Sincerely,
    RainyDayInterns

5. By Eric on Jun 4, 2011 | Reply

It has occurred to me that many of the touch barrier issues could be remedied at least in phones that have a slide-out keyboard. Many droid phones, for instance, have keyboard options. However, I have yet to come across one of these phones where enough functionality has been built into the keyboard to operate every feature of the phone. Is anyone aware of such a device?

6. By Chuck on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Also an x-acto knife barrel instead of a pen covered in wire works, easier to make too.

7. By FBW on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for this idea. My home made stylus is at least as good as the $15 Targus stylus I bought.

Scotch Brite sponges certainly work as conductive material, but lack the rigidity to be a good option. The material will compress enough to push into an old pen barrel but the exposed part expands too much. I wonder if anyone has thought of a way to control that expansion.

8. By Kirill on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Any conductive foam that comes with computer chips will work.
    Any sponge will also work however it has to be moist in order to conduct electricity.

9. By iOS Recording on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

I tried this and found that you don’t even need the wire to touch your hand. The foam seems to work just on it’s own. Thoughts?

10. By Dolores scally on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Did you get some capacitative foam? My daughter uses a head pointer which is home made. I bought a load of stylus pens online from china and I’ve been cutting them down and slipping the tube over a tungsten golf club shaft. I’d like to make something a bit stronger she goes through them so fast.

1. 3 Trackback(s)

2. Jun 21, 2010: lifekludger - disability : technology : life » Blog Archive » Conductive Touch Capable Mouthstick from a Japanese “Liver” (Reader)
  3. Aug 17, 2010: Comparing iPads, Netbooks, and Auggies for AAC Use | ATMac
  4. Jun 16, 2012: Possibly a dumb question - Page 2

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.